Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Viva Decon!

I've just discovered this. It's really very good. Bit late in the day but still. I have long wondered at the odd and, so I thought, unremarked '60's brutalist quality of much hip contemporary architecture (Foreign Office Architects are guilty too). Much of it reminds me of Richard Seifert. Now I have reason not to be so peturbed by this. I am reminded too of Will Self's description in his book Scale of motorway bridges as the ruins of the future.

The anti-heroic reading here is a bracing reinterpretation of the futurist pretentions of the work. Mostly though I like it because its a good example of why architecture criticism does not have to slavishly echo the agenda set up by the architect. The bit about the dribbling yellow light is particularly good too.

No comments: